Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spring Fever Sayings 2 !

Everyday "Expressions" are fun to use, & particularly interesting to investigate their places of origin. Let's continue on our excursion into common sayings & their roots. Many of these sayings are deeply rooted in Biblical truth. Have Ewe been surprised yet?


Are Ewe Ready for more Sayings?  I'm all Ears!
The  first expression to put under the proverbial microscope is, don't cast ewer "Pearls Before Swine"! It's an expression that can clearly be traced back to the Bible. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus stated," Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, & turn & tear you to pieces". Mt.7:6 This is a powerful indictment on acting foolishly, & not using wisdom in sharing the treasure of the Gospel message. In the Jewish culture, pigs were considered "off limits" & "unclean". This only strengthens the need for using wise discernment in sharing the message of Christ today!
When casting pearls, Ewe got to ask Ewer self, Are Ewe Feeling Lucky?
I love Pearls! Don't Ewe think I look PRETTY?
Now that we, pardon the pun, "Pigged-Out" on the first Expression, it's time to meander onto our next saying, which is the proverbial "Fly in the Ointment". This expression can also be traced back to the Bible. Solomon wrote it in the third century B.C. in the Book of Ecclesiastes. It states, " Dead flies putrefy the perfumer's ointment, And cause it to give off a foul odor; So does a little folly to one respected for wisdom & honor". Eccl.10:1 (NKJV) The meaning of this expression is that it only takes a little flaw to spoil something of greater value. Whether a reputation, home-cooked meal, or a big project, that nasty "fly in the ointment" will ruin it! It's time to take out the Fly Zapper!

Did Ewe know that "Fly-time" makes me want to GAG!
BOT Nasal flies are the "Fly in my ointment"!

Our last expression for today is the popular "I'm at my Wits End"! The common meaning of the saying is that Ewe are very frustrated  & have reached Ewer limit. Susanna Wesley would sit on a chair & pull an apron over her head when she reached her "Wit's End", raising her 19 children. This phrase can be traced back to the Bible as well. "They reel to & fro, & stagger like a drunken man, And are at their wits' end." Ps. 107:27 It depicts a sailor being tossed about by an angry sea, with nothing else to do but look up!

I'm at my Wit's End! These flies are driving me CRAZY!

I'm at "Wit's End", I can't do anything with my Hair!
Sheep are faced with various challenges on a daily basis. Food, shelter, water, & safety from predators & flies are just a few of the  daily needs the Shepherd must meet. Ewe can see why being a Shepherd is a calling that requires passion & a deep love of sheep


Ewe know it's all about TRUST!

The Good Shepherd Loves the Sheep!
The Good Shepherd loves Ewe more than Ewe can fathom! Walk in His Love today, at peace with Him & with others. Happy Trails to Ewe!

"I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own". John 11:14



No comments:

Post a Comment